Welcome to the Vegemite website.
If you are resident in a country that is in the European Union, including the European Economic Area (EEA), you should read the additional section below entitled Users within European Economic Area that provides further information about the application of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR) to our privacy practices and the rights you have in relation to your personal information.
What personal information do we collect?
Bega Cheese only collects personal information which is reasonably necessary for one or more of its functions or activities. For example, we may collect your personal information in order to provide you with our products or services and to better understand your needs and how we can improve our products and services. We may also collect your personal information to protect against fraud or theft and to comply with our obligations under applicable laws. The personal information may include your name, address (billing or shipping), telephone number, email address, username and password (if your register for an account with us) and purchase/supply details. In some cases we may also collect sensitive information, for example if you provide information about allergies in an enquiry.
From time to time, you may be able to deal with us anonymously or by pseudonym, but in some instances if you don’t provide us with certain personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the products or services you want.
How do we collect personal information?
The personal information we collect is, in most cases, directly supplied by you when you register your details with us or give us the information, when you place a call, email or otherwise contact us, when you order products or services from us or you supply goods or services to us or when you use our website. We may also collect personal information about you from other sources other than you. For example, if you are the recipient of a product ordered from our website as a gift, we will need to collect your name and address.
When you visit our website, it will automatically send your web browser cookies. A cookie is a piece of text sent from a web server to your web browser, and is used to identify you only by a random number. This cookie does not personally identify you, but it does tell us information related to you, like that your computer has visited our site and what areas of the site have been browsed. You can decline cookies by disabling any categories of the cookies that you do not want by clicking the “Cookies settings” setting in your browser, however this may affect the functionality of the website.
Where we collect personal information from third parties, we will only do so if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect the personal information directly from you and we will take reasonable steps to inform you if and when we do.
How is your personal information used?
When we collect your personal information, we will not use or disclose it other than for:
- the purpose for which it was provided;
- a related purpose that you would reasonably expect us to use the information for;
- another purpose that is permitted by applicable privacy laws;
- a purpose that is required or authorised by law or a court/tribunal order; or
- a purpose that you have consented to.
For example, we may use your personal information to contact you to provide you with the information and/or products and services you have requested. We may also store and process that information to better understand your needs and how we can improve our products and services. We may also use your personal information to protect against fraud or theft and to comply with our obligations under the law.
We may with your consent, use your personal information for direct marketing purposes by email or SMS. All of the electronic communications we send to you will include an “unsubscribe” link which enables you to opt out of receiving any future direct marketing communications from us at any time. Otherwise you can contact us at email@example.com to opt out.
Vegemite Mailing List
If you subscribe to our Vegemite Mailing List we will use your personal information to register you for the Vegemite mailing list to provide you with recipes and other information published by Bega Cheese relating to Vegemite.
Who we may share your personal information with (including overseas)?
The information we collect about you from our website may be disclosed to our subsidiaries, agents, contractors or third party service providers who provide administrative, telecommunications, computer or other services to us in connection with the operation of our business and this website and who are under duties to Bega Cheese, the owner of the Vegemite, to keep such information confidential and secure. If you purchase or place an order for any of our products through a Bega Cheese website, or you are the recipient of an order, we may need to disclose your personal information to Australia Post and their related entities to fulfil the delivery. If you purchase a product that is eligible for overseas delivery, information of the purchaser and recipient of the product your information may need to be disclosed to authorities in the destination country such as for customs purposes.
We may also provide third parties with aggregate, de-identified information about visitors to or users of our website.
We may need to disclose personal information we have collected to overseas recipients (who are not located in Australia). This will usually be to individual recipients located in countries where you have requested us to deliver products to them. These countries include New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Canada and the USA.
In these circumstances, you agree that Bega Cheese may disclose your information to the relevant overseas recipients and understand that we will not be able to take steps to ensure that they handle your personal information consistently with the APPs.
Data security and storage
We take reasonable and appropriate steps and measures to protect the personal information we collect and hold including from unauthorised access and disclosure. Personal information will be de-identified or deleted when it is no longer required by us for any purpose for which we are permitted or required to retain it. We are required to keep certain types of personal information for specific periods of time under applicable law.
All the personal information we collect is held and stored in Australia. Where Bega Cheese uses third party services, information may be held offshore.
Yours rights: access and correction of your personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we collect and use is correct and current. You can access and update personal information Bega Cheese holds about you by updating your user profile on the Vegemite website, or by contacting us using the Contact Details at the end of this Policy during normal business hours. We will give you access unless we consider that there is a sound reason under the APPs or other applicable law to withhold that information. If we refuse to provide you with access or to correct the personal information that is the subject of your request, we will provide in writing our reasons for such refusal. If we refuse to comply with your request to correct any of your personal information, you are entitled to ask us to associate with that information a statement that reflects your position that it is either inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, and we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to do so.
To respond to your requests we will need to verify your identity and may need to request further information.
Users within European Economic Area
The GDPR may apply to Bega Cheese in addition to the Privacy Act when processing the personal information (or personal data) of individuals (data subjects or you) who are located within the European Union. For example, if we monitor your behaviour on our website or if we offer you products or services. ‘Personal data’ has a similar meaning to personal information in the Privacy Act.
The following information applies to data subjects:
- Bega is a data controller for our website and services provided through this website.
- We rely on a number of lawful bases, depending on the circumstances, to process your personal data. These are: in connection with our legitimate interests in carrying on our business operating our website and providing our products and services, where necessary to perform a contract we have entered into with you to supply our products and services, where we are under a legal obligation to do so, or with your consent. We will erase or anonymise data where we no longer have a lawful basis to rely upon, we maintain backups of personal data for a period of 90 days.
- You may indicate your preferences to receive non-essential cookies using the cookies banner provided on our website, or using the settings of your web browser.
- The GDPR gives you additional rights in relation to your personal information. This includes the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information at any time. Additional rights that may be available to data subjects, depending on the lawful basis Bega Cheese has placed reliance on to process your personal information and the circumstances. Additional rights include the right to request your personal data held by Bega Cheese be deleted (‘the right to erasure’) and the right to request a copy of the personal data Bega Cheese has about you (‘the right to data portability’).
- If you would like to exercise your rights, or if you have a complaint about how we handle your personal data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You have the right to complain to the relevant data protection authority (for example in the place where you reside, or where you believe we reached your rights).
If you wish to make a complaint, please use the Contact Details provided at the end of his Policy. Once we have received your enquiry, our Privacy Officer will respond to you within a reasonable time. We may need to verify your identity. If, after receiving our response, you still consider that your privacy complaint has not been resolved, you may then, for example, take your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
If you have any questions or wish to make a complaint regarding the way in which Bega Cheese has handled your personal information, or if you wish to exercise any of your rights including to access or update your personal information, please contact us at:
PO Box 123,
Bega NSW 2550
Telephone: 1800 571 833
More information about your rights
For more information about your rights and protecting your privacy, visit your local privacy regulator or supervisory authority:
- In Australia: the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner: https://oaic.gov.au
- In the UK: the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office: https://ico.org.uk/
- In Canada: the website of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada: https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/
- In New Zealand: the website of the Privacy Commissioner: https://www.privacy.org.nz/
- In the USA: the website of the Federal Trade Commission: https://www.ftc.gov/
This Policy was last updated in November 2019.